You love your wigs and hair extensions because they instantly give you added wow. But are YOU giving them the right amount of care?
To enjoy your flattering hair pieces as long as possible you need to show them a little TLC. In case you are not really sure how to do that, read on for some pro tips on how to protect your luscious investments.
Caring for a Human Hair Wig
- Washing your human hair wig is a crucial step. Normally you should wear it for about 6 times before you wash it, but do it sooner if it looks dirty and oily.
- Before washing it, brush your wig gently using a special wig brush. In case of tight curls, just remove the tangles with your fingers.
- Add a mild sulphate-free shampoo to cold water in a basin or sink, immerse your wig and let it soak for 5 minutes. Remember to turn it inside out before soaking it.
- After you rinse your wig twice, massage a little conditioner into the strands and allow it to stand for a couple of minutes. Rinse thoroughly.
- Excess water should be gently squeezed before placing the wig in a towel and patting dry.
- Put your wig on a stand and let it air dry keeping it away from direct sunlight. If you must wear it right away, blow-dry it using a low setting.
- All the above instructions work for human hair extensions, as well.
Caring for a Synthetic Hair Wig
All human hair wig care tips apply also to synthetic hair wigs, so follow the same steps as above for washing and drying. Here are some extra tricks that work:
- After washing and conditioning your synthetic hair wig, once you get rid of the excess water spritz a revitalizing conditioner over it to help condition hair fibers.
- Most of our synthetic hair wigs are made with heat resistant fibers so they can be styled with hot tools up to 400 degrees.
- Once you finished styling your wig, spray it with finishing spray for extra hold and added shine.
- A synthetic wig may be damaged if brushed or pulled too hard. Avoid breaking the fibers during styling by gently bending the hairs to achieve the style you want.
General Tips for Styling Your Wigs
- Do not use regular hair care products on your wigs. The recommended products should be sulphate-free.
- For combing and brushing use special wig tools, such as wide tooth combs and wig brushes.
- Avoid twisting and wringing your wig at all times.
- Never brush, comb or set a wig while wet.
- Do not wash or rinse your wigs with hot water as this might compromise their structure and damage hair fibers.
- To prevent frizz never brush a dry curly wig.
- Store wigs on special wig stands in a cool, dry place away from dust and mold. Proper storage helps a wig maintain its style and shape.
- Never sleep with your wig on.
By following these tips and tricks you will extend the life of your wigs and hair extensions, making styling easier. One word of advice: expect buckets of envy, ladies!